Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Drifting

I'm sitting in the back all alone staring into the dimness. People all around me but not with me; talking and being seemingly happy. I am not here. I feel like I'm in a daze or a dream. Why do I have to be here? Stuck. Stuck until whenever.

I look down at my papers and run the words through my head and like water through a drain it leaves me. I simply cannot hold it. Will there be another test? If so, I do not care to pass.

I look up at the faces and uniforms and see nothing in their smiles and hear nothing in their laughter.

"What are you thinking over there?" someone asks.

"Nothing," I respond. Nothing. I yawn so hard my ear pops and I snap my eyes shut. I stay that way. As long as I think I can get away with it. I open my eyes and see. I see that I am completely out of place. They see too. When I was younger I would've cared but now I don't. What can they do to me?

I know that I make people uncomfortable when I'm too quiet. They continue to talk, I continue to be mute. Taking nothing in, giving nothing out. Drifting.

What exactly are we suppose to be doing right now? I finally think. I would like to get up and walk away right now and never come back. What if I did? What would happen? Will someone call out for me? Come look for me?

My foot twitches in anticipation. The dimness has become brighter, the laughter softer. I look across the room and see her. My friend. Another me. I almost forgot. She is here too. I suppose there is no need for two of us.

Now is my chance.

I get up and walk. Away. I shall never come back....

2 comments:

Select Momentum said...

"I know that I make people uncomfortable when I'm too quiet. They continue to talk, I continue to be mute. Taking nothing in, giving nothing out. Drifting." Love the way you danced these words together.

Anonymous said...

Wow Beautiful